The sand, the sun and the surf are powerful reasons to consider buying a home in the communities of Carlsbad, Oceanside, Encinitas, La Costa, Vista or San Marcos. However, buying a home with its own casita has numerous added benefits for North County San Diego homeowners.
What is a Casita?
A casita is a small, usually detached, living area, included with the main single family home. Although they can be attached, or semi-attached, most are separated from the main house and often have their own entrance and access for privacy. Typically designed as a comfortable suite with a full bath, some casitas are built with a basic kitchen or kitchenette as well.
Why Buy a Home with a Casita?
Buying a home with a casita makes excellent sense in terms of both property value and convenience. They are well suited for:
- Mother-in-law suites where a parent, parents, grandparents or other relatives could be comfortable for extended visits or as permanent living quarters.
- Separate living quarters for older children, such as those who return home from college or are moving in to save money for their own home.
- A home office, art studio, or a location for a small business venture, which could qualify as a tax write off. (Consult your tax professional to be sure.)
- A rental income generator, either by renting out for the weekend, week, month or more traditional time frames. (Check with your CCNRs or HOA first to determine if your community allows this.)
- Quarters for household staff to offer them convenience, as well as privacy.
- Family fun use, such as a game room or home theater.
If you would like to experience the convenience and opportunity that owning a home with a casita offers, The Lund Team can help you find one that is just right for both your needs and your budget. With more than 32 years of experience helping families like yours buy and sell quality Southern California real estate, we understand the nuances of the local market. We live, work, and play in the Carlsbad area and are committed to helping our clients find the home of their dreams. Please feel free to contact us to discuss your housing goals.
Broker Associate | 01385039